Vintage Tablecloths

Sharing vintage tablecloths ~ and other vintage treasures that capture my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, January 1, 2017

A New Treasure & A New Year!

~2017~
Happy New Year!
I hope it is a happy, healthy & safe year for you!

Hooray, we made it to another new year.
 This year we are not only looking at a new year, but a new President
and new administration.  I admit I have worries, but I also have hope.
Praying for our new leaders to be thoughtful and act wisely.

(Yes, I did recently edit this post,  so as not to offend any readers.
 I usually keep politics off my blog.)

Doyle says:  Okay Mom, time to get off the soapbox.

Thanks Doyle!

Mr. Retro found us this fabulous turn-of-the-century phonograph.
We visited several antique stores/malls this past week, and the year end
sales were fabulous!  Hubby was enamored with this piece.  My brain
screamed "no more furniture".  He reminded me he had to find or build
a cabinet for our stereo system.  Oh it's a long and winding story.....
so let me sum it up.  Friends (who were moving away) gave us their collection
of LP albums and a turntable.  Instant new hobby!  We only needed speakers.
Oh, and a stereo cabinet.  Enter Victor...

He is a beauty, his Mahogany woodwork is in pristine condition,
He would serve our purpose beautifully, and the price was stupid cheap.

The Victor Talking Machine Co.  
These were manufactured between 1906-1914.
Each with a number on the plaque.  

An open view.  
Though they look like shelves, the wooden slats direct 
the sound from the speaker behind them.  

78 RPM records (that came with) actually played!

Hubby is going to remove most of the parts so he can refit for our turntable.
He also plans to add a CD player.  There is a market for the original parts,
 so those will get a new home.  The stately outer cabinet will remain intact.

Well, this was to be a very quick post just to say hello and Happy
New Year, but Victor was begging to show off, lol.
I do have some other finds I will share in my next post.
I have lots of blog reading to catch up on...so see you soon!

Stay warm!  Stay hopeful!
Happy New Year!


9 comments:

  1. OMG that piece is fabulous. I can't wait to see it when its done but it's marvelous as it is. What a steal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a beautiful piece of furniture! You will certainly enjoy it when it is changed over into a modern piece. Just lovely.

    Have a great week~

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a huge collection of albums.. mostly from the 70's. and we have a stereo.. but we never ever use it. I dont think any of those albums have been played since the early 80's! lol! I love your "victor". And its awesome that your hubby will give it new life! Happy New Year my friend!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Pam! Glad Doyle got you back on task! Great find to the Victrola. We use our record player alot...listening to Frank Sinatra. But I wish I had a different cabinet. There is a place that makes Amish furniture and we had a table made there several years ago. Would love to have them make a entertainment center we can put the record player, cd player in etc with all the other electronics. My cousin has our Great Grandparents from 1914 that still works with cylinders. We have over 100 and they are so fun to listen to. Of course I even have the receipt for when they bought it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Victor is a handsome fella!! What fun to have a turntable and records. Both of my kids are into records, amazing. I'm trying to be positive for 2017 and our new leader, but the jury is still out on that one. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year, sweet Pam! What a joy to visit you and your wonderful blog after being away on my blogging break. How are you? I hope you had a lovely Christmas season.

    LOVE the picture of Doyle! He is such a cutie pie :)

    I hope 2017 is filled with lots of beauty and joy. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doyle is such a handsome fella! Give him a hug for me! So nice that you are repurposing Victor for your new stereo, it's a lovely piece! Pretty cool that you received the old 78 records too! Happy New Year Pam! 2017 is going to be a wild ride, hold on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Victor is very handsome! Congratulations on your new purchase, I love what you're going to do with it. Doyle is a cutie! Best wishes for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!! VICTOR IS BEAUTIFUL!! Not as beautiful as Doyle, but that type of beauty would be hard to find. Happy New Year! :) --Fran

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Thanks.