Vintage Tablecloths

Sharing vintage tablecloths ~ and other vintage treasures that capture my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Vintage Tea Towel Collection!

Tea Towels, Kitchen towels, Dish Towels, Guest Towels...
you know them by many different names.  Vintage towels are such fun because
of their wonderful graphics and colors, and they are great to use, they really do
their job and hold up so well.

 Today I'm sharing some of my collection.  There are a few unused with labels,
 but most have been used and have some stains.  Well, they're dish towels, right?
I love them all equally!  Warning~lots of photos.

These towels are tough, still around today to prove it. 


Floral designs always popular, along with fruit and pottery.  There are a few
here by Wilendur and Startex. 

Farm scenes, veggies and gardens are also very popular themes.
Chickens by Startex, Carrots & pea pods by Vera.
The peppers & asparagus is a Martex Dry-Me-Dry.
 
 Popular anthropomorphic theme.  You can also see it used on the towel
in the photo above this one, the anthropomorphic veggies with the chef. 

  SW or Mexican theme.  The bright primary colors are a favorite.
 The adorable senorita is by Broderie Creations.  Did you notice the boy above has his
duck on a leash? Interesting!  Someone lovingly crocheted the edges of the towel.  
 

Couples and food are also popular themes.  Hubby is not happy to be helping with the
dishes in the middle towel by Leacock.  The cookies towel is another Martex.
 Phrases or writing on towels is also common.  The sweet homemaker says,
"No matter where I serve my guests, they seem to like my kitchen best"

 I love this modern design (container of olives, salad and fish) so much,
I had to get it in each colorway I found.  These are also tagged Martex Dry-Me-Dry.
The other side of the tag says: 
The amazing 3 fibre towel
 cotton-rayon-linen

 These mod looking floral designs haven't been used, and still have their paper labels,  except for the Vera striped towel in the front. 

 A couple interesting finds here. 
 HOME is where the HEART is, by designer Tammis Keefe.
 The street scene towel is very old Made in Japan. 
Label says Ramie Towel, Grade B. 
Maybe 40's?  Check out the car on the street!
  
 Souvenir towels were also popular, easy to bring home from vacation.
"Busy as a Bee", so cute!  Did you see the "Ham and eggs" a few photos up?

Calendar Towel
 I am not a fan of calendar towels, but I couldn't resist this one from 1958,
depicting an item representing each month.  It is a little ragged and stained,
but what/who isn't after almost 60 years. 

Here is a better look at the Leacock towel.  Hubby sure is unhappy
about helping with dinner.  ;)

I hope you enjoyed seeing some of my collection.  I'd like to share more of them
 with you, so will do a second towel post at another time.  Do you have any
vintage towels?  Do you use them?  I love buying imperfect towels because
 they do a great job in the kitchen and I enjoy just seeing them!

We're still having such hot weather and it will continue this week. 
 C'mon fall! Stay cool & enjoy your last weeks of summer fun. 


16 comments:

  1. Wonderful collection! I have a few and don't use the ones I love!
    I'm going to hang on to summer...
    warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved seeing all of these! Wonderful, colorful, iconic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic collection! I think my favorite is the carrots and peas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have an impressive collection. I love them all.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your collection so please share more soon! I have a few but don't use them, maybe I should!!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am eagerly looking forward to your next post! I do have a few vintage towels, and I do (carefully!) use them. I've NEVER found one in the wild, they are all etsy and ebay purchases. Nothing compares to the bright colors and graphics (and the lovely heavy linen fabric) of yesteryear! :) --Fran

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous tea towel collection Pam! They're all so fun and colourful. It's so hot here too. I'm so hoping September will cool things down a bit. I look forward to seeing more of your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome collection! I am so glad you shared it. I love, love,love vintage design and graphics--they're cool and cute all at the same time. I can't wait for part two! I am always on the look out for older tea towels for the booth, they're very popular. And easier to deal with than tablecloths, which take up more room and leave more mess when they don't get refolded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam, these are awesome! It would be hard to choose a favorite!

    xo Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pam, I also have and use vintage tea towels, everyday. When they get stained and worn they get sent to the laundry room to be used there and finally out by my garden sink. I clothes pin them to the garden fence to dry and sometimes the sun does such a good job on the stains they go back to the kitchen for another round!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWESOME collection!!! I have to admit, I drooled a bit! :) Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I just LOVE your collection of these vintage towels and such! They really take me back to my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love them all! My hubby and I are going to visit a small town and check out their antique stores. Maybe something to be on the lookout for, start of a new collection??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tea towel collection is just as wonderful as your tablecloth collection! What a pleasure it is you share it with us!

    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Several I've never laid eyes upon. What a wonderful collection you have!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Thanks.