Vintage Tablecloths

Sharing vintage tablecloths ~ and other vintage treasures that capture my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Community Yard Sale Finds!

I live in the small rural county of Mathews, Virginia.
We have 200 miles of shoreline, therefore lots of visitors
and second home owners.  We also have many events, with
this one being a favorite of mine....Community Yard Sale!


There were many sellers in the downtown area.  You could rent a space there,
or you could sell right from your own yard.  Free maps were provided by the
Visitors Center with directions to all the sales.

I've been proud of all the downsizing and donating I have done, but could I 
 really pass up shopping my own community sale?  Of course not! 
 I mostly enjoyed the fun & the comradery of shopping but did bring
home a few irresistible (to me) treasures.

I have used some of my fun vintage tea towels as a background for my photos. 
 Sweet vintage rhinestone pin and earring set by Camelot, in original box.

Vintage Fire King Delphite bowl.  It was scummy and someone had put an old
crock pot lid on it to look like a covered casserole.  I left the lid. 


It was a Fire King kind of day.  Vintage Oven Ware platter.  I've had this before
  with the modern sputnik edge design.  This one is a flower design. 


I can't resist candles for my tablescapes, and these were very cool.
Moss Waxworks, CA.   Probably originally pricey but 50 cents to me.

Vintage yellow flatware, stainless from Japan, for a dollar.
Another tablescaping item!

& finally this lampshade, which I needed for a bedroom lamp.
Have you priced lampshades lately?  Expensive!
I paid a dollar for this one. 


Oh yes, I did miss highlighting one of the items, because  I have no gumdrops!
See the clear plastic tree on the left?  My Mom had one of these when we
were growing up.  It got red & green gumdrops for Christmas, pastel for
Easter, and all colors for Birthday parties.  We loved it and she used it often.
I remember my Aunt even using hers for hors' doeuvres with olives on the branches.
Do you remember gumdrop trees?

That's it!  I enjoyed lots more looking than buying, but had a great time. 

On another note...most of our garden survived the 9 inches of rain we had in May,
but it is not looking great, and the tropical storm brought us a couple more days of
rain this week.  The plants don't look very good, but the weeds are doing great!

 Lastly I'll share a photo of another abstract I painted.  I thought my first
painting was lacking something...oh yes, a similar looking painting so I
could hang them as a pair. 

I know we are all busy this time of year, and notice I am not the
only blogger who is posting less.  I also need to do some catch up reading.
Hope you all are enjoying our spring transition to summer as much as I am!

Hit any good sales lately? 


Linking to:

13 comments:

  1. I have not posted myself until today or read my friends blogs! Was miss u! Love the memory the plastic tree brought back for you, how adorable. I put stuff out in my neighbors yard sale...trying to thin out what i don't use. I think we had some utensils like the yellow ones when I was very little. Plenty to make new tablescapes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always find the most unusual things Pam! I love the gumdrop tree. <3

    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is too hard to resist a good sale right in you own neighborhood! Love your finds. I'm continuing to downsize but I still have to shop, it's so much fun!!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shopping for treasures is always FUN! Fun finds. When summer comes around we just have to enjoy each day as winter comes too quickly.
    warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gumdrop tree has been on my must find list for years! Can you believe I've never seen one in person?

    9" of rain?! I live in Oregon and that's unheard of here. Glad to hear that your garden did okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you grow up in Mathews? I had a sorority sister from there, I believe. Do you know Janice Armistead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, No, I didn't grow up here, but was fortunate enough to move here in 2003. I don't know Janice but I'll be on the lookout. :)

      Delete
    2. That would be quite a coincidence if you found her!

      Delete
  7. Hi Pam! Love your finds... the platter, the yellow flatware, fabulous! And Geez, I remember those gum drop trees! Super cute towels, too. I've been hitting the garage, and estate sales and will be sharing some stuff down the road... as you said everyone seems so busy these days, me included! Got to run! Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got some amazing finds! Love the flatware. My next Vintage Bliss post for Tuesday is about cutlery. I DID NOT get a great deal like that though! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's nothing like a good community sale,is there? Love, love, love them! Very nice colorful finds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, what a fun event! Sadly, we don't have anything like that around here....I think I need to come visit you {{smiles}}

    You found some wonderful and beautiful items, my friend. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Thanks.