Vintage Tablecloths

Sharing vintage tablecloths ~ and other vintage treasures that capture my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Fairy Gardens Rock!

 Have you made a fairy garden yet?
My fairy garden! I had a couple changes to make, and things to add, once I got it home. 
Are you enamored with fairy gardens?  It seems that many folks are.  You can
even buy kits with everything included to make your own. Pricey?  Yes!

I am lucky that we have an art school that offers classes for the
average person as well as the artist.  When I saw they were offering
 a container fairy garden class I signed right up, because the
classes are small and fill quickly.

That is my green garden base, the bottom of an old plastic pail that was
sprayed painted and had a couple holes drilled for drainage. 
We lined the bottom with weed fabric so our dirt would stay put.
The instructor taught us how to make our garden fun and creative, yet thrifty. 
You can pay a lot for all the little miniature items.  She said her class
 was "making a fairy garden on the cheap". We laughed, but it was true.
For our houses we used the wooden houses you can find at your
local craft store.  First we used tacky glue and attached tiny stones,
which she told us were fish aquarium stones.  After the glue set we
 grouted over the stones, and wiped away some of the grout with a wet
sponge.  We were left with the desired look of an old stone cottage
 
I opted to paint my roof, but moss or sticks can also be used.
We made our own fences from cut twigs that we wrapped with jewelry wire.
 The walkway made from tiny tiles available at the home stores.  The
 gazing ball is simply a marble which I glued onto a small thread spool. 
 

She supplied us with enough smalls plants so we could each use 8,
which seemed to be the perfect amount. 

I love my fairy garden!  I painted my shell pond blue, added a few
toadstools,  and the gazing ball, and a little birdie even came to visit. 
I managed to get a few photos of the other creations.
This woman opted to leave her house ungrouted (is that a word?)
She made her fairy garden in a huge ceramic bowl. 
This one was done in a galvanized pail, cute idea.  She told me
she planned to paint the roof and pond at home...like me. 

I loved the cheese box that this person used, it was really big.
Her twig roof is great!

Two friends came together who used empty wine boxes, but filled the bottoms
 with Styrofoam, so they would not be too heavy after adding the dirt. Our smart
instructor had warned us not to bring anything that would be too heavy to carry. 

 I hope you enjoyed my bringing you along to class and showing
you the finished gardens. 

On a final note, Mr. Retro and I celebrated an Anniversary this week.
We opted to stay home and cook our own meal, which was sinfully delicious.
Fresh shrimp & scallops from the seafood market (which Mr. Retro expertly
 fried), oven onion rings, and broccoli cheese casserole. Oops, forgot the lemon.

Looking forward to the weekend, so much to do in the garden since
Spring temperatures are finally here!  What are your weekend plans?


Linking with: 

11 comments:

  1. Loved seeing all of the fairy gardens! All adorable! I'm lookng forward to working on mine in a few weeks. Gotta have a little more stable spring weather first. Happy anniversary! You didn't say how many years?
    Have a great weekend!
    Xoxo
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Viv, Oops..34 years. Geesh, a lifetime, lol.

      Delete
  2. A fairy garden is on our Spring Project List. Along with a million other things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep saying I'm going to make a fairy garden. maybe this year!! So cute! I love the little house with the rocks. Happy Anniversary! the meal at home sounds perfect.
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fairy gardens! I did one and posted several years ago. Most of the plants are still going, however one of my cats gives it a regular trim! Love your seafood feast, reminds me of my trip to Florida, seems like that was ages ago! Happy Anniversary and Happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute! I have been wanting to make one of these and love the ideas you shared to make one for less money. The stuff can be super expensive. That little fence is adorable! Happy Anniversary...looks like it was a great day. Have a great weekend!

    Hugs, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I love all things that are miniature and fairy gardens are just magical! I appreciate all the little details and thank you for sharing how you decorated those homes. So many wonderful ideas in this post! Happy Anniversary too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE fairy gardens, and yours is ADORABLE! Great job! Your anniversary dinner looks sooooo good. Hope you enjoyed your anniversary and that you have a great weekend!! :) --Fran

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a fairy garden, but there is a gnome door at the base of an oak tree in the back yard. He has a little bench and bird bath. There is also a gnome door inside our house, by our front door. The gnome that lives there has a black dog and frequently moves around the house. I do love your fairy garden, the house is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet that everything is hand made in your fairy garden! I have been buying pieces little by little to make one in a huge galvanized bucket but I like your homemade kind much better. I am changing direction now!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your fairy garden turned out great Pam. I love all the details, like the gazing ball and the toadstools. I haven't made one yet but I certainly want to. It's on my list. Thanks so much for sharing at Vintage Charm.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and our open to all! Thanks.