Vintage Tablecloths

Sharing vintage tablecloths ~ and other vintage treasures that capture my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, November 2, 2015

Tablecloths & Tortes

Hello November!  Sadly we say goodbye to October & Halloween,
but look forward to Thanksgiving.  I love using my vintage
 tablecloths that are sporting fall colors. 
This one fits the bill!

We are inundated with scrumptious recipes using pumpkin and
apples at this time of year.  I made this delicious Apple Nut Torte.

Getting back to the tablecloth, think I nabbed this one on eBay.
Made by Coronet, and still has it's original tag. 

 The tablecloth is a Cotton-Rayon mix, so it has that wonderful
silky feel.  It is 1950-1960's era. 

 The pattern name is California Ivy. 
Perfect for this time of year!

 Now for some vintage apron fun.  I remember my Nana always wearing a full
apron while in the kitchen.  While channel surfing I spied this 1960's movie
and snapped a photo with my tablet.  How cute is that vintage apron?
 Then I was watching "Home Fires"* on PBS Masterpiece Theater,
and spied Pat wearing hers. Another photo op {smile}.
 *I love this new series, if you are not watching it,
check your PBS schedule and start!


 These vintage aprons reminded me of the old cookbook Mr. Retro
had picked up at a yard sale.  Cora's Country Cookbook.

Do you remember the Wicked Witch of the West?
YUP, this is Cora's cookbook ( aka Margaret Hamilton as star name)
 published in the 70's.  Most of the recipes are what the baby boomers
 may remember, especially those casserole dinners. 

The dessert recipes looked yummy.  I decided to try the
Apple Nut Torte recipe because it looked easy.
Plus, who doesn't love anything involving baked apples???

I forgot to take a picture of the pan before Mr. Retro had cut and
removed the first piece!  Hence the plate on the pan photo {sad smile}.

Delicious!  The recipe had lots of sugar, I think I will use a little less next time.
Also, it had no fat other than the eggs.  No butter or oil or shortening; odd for
 most baking.  However, it was delicious with a wonderful crunchy crust.
I only added 1 ingredient to the recipe, cinnamon, because I love it.
 I changed the recipe so I can share it without breaking copyright laws. (hope)
Next time I think I will also add some Craisins.

APPLE NUT TORTE
2/3 cup all purpose flour   (Always King Arthur at my house)
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
(1 tsp. cinnamon ~ Pam's addition)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 cups diced raw apples
1 cup chopped walnuts

Mix flour, baking powder and salt.  In a separate bowl beat eggs until thick and light in color.  Gradually beat in sugar; add vanilla.  Stir in dry ingredients, apples and nuts.  Spread in greased 9 inch square pan or baking dish.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream. 

See, easy!  I would definitely make this as a take along,
 because it was just as good served at room temperature. 
It would be especially heavenly served with vanilla ice cream.

Gee, I'm kinda' wordy today.  Thanks if you are still with me.
 I'm not feeling quite right and blame it on that dang time switch. 
We can change all the clocks, but our bodies know better!!!
What are you up to this week? 


9 comments:

  1. That tablecloth is beautiful and I'm really anxious to try this recipe. I love walnuts and apples. Thank you for sharing. Happy November!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely Fall tablecloth.
    I love full aprons and have quite a few of them.
    I am also watching Home Fires and enjoying it.
    Have a great week.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tablecloth! I'm ready for some hearty casseroles this time of year....

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is so much to love about this post! I am definitely going to be making that apple nut torte, and I agree with your addition of the cinnamon. And I forgot all about Margaret Hamilton as Cora, until you reminded me! Do you remember her Maxwell House commercials in the 70's? Hope you are enjoying your week! Happy November! :) --Fran

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely, serene fall tablescape. My grandmother always wore a full apron in the kitchen...white trimmed with colorful bias tape, and always spotless and starched. She had a whole drawerful of them. The torte looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that table cloth is perfect! and that torte looks sooo yummy! now Im off to the kitchen to get a bowl of cereal.. or.. should I have left over pie.... lol! And Im saving that recipe!
    happy Tuesday!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love full aprons! They are one of the many things I collect and actually use :-)

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fun post! Can't believe the tag is still on the tablecloth! Will you continue to leave it on? The aprons are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam! Pretty tablecloth and that apple nut torte sounds delicious! I think my mom had Cora's Country Cookbook. LOL! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Thanks.