Vintage Tablecloths

Sharing vintage tablecloths ~ and other vintage treasures that capture my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Lousy Thrifting & Good Gardening & Giant Spoolie!

I haven't done a post in about a week...it was just one of the those weeks,
& there is so much to be done outdoors.  So today's post will be a mixed bag. 
 
We can't have everything, I know.  But I had some "spending money"
in my pocket yesterday and couldn't find anything great to spend it on.  Figures!
 
I'm going to paint the little wooden organizer and use it in my craft room,
or maybe in the camper to hold silverware, napkins and stuff.
 
I couldn't resist these OLD poker chips.  Made in Milwaukee!
LOVE the old boxes though they're not in good shape.
 
Still fun for a dollar, and can use some for crafting.  Five card stud anyone?

The same thrift had all this blue vintage rickrack in a bag. Looks like some
sewer really loved blue!  Guess I'm stocked with blue for...forever. 

I love the packaging, with the Cameo being my favorite.

Six vintage style green ball jars...how I wish they were vintage!  Had to grab
them when I saw them at WalMart.  Hoping they get blue in stock soon.
That was it for my shopping. The good thing, I still have my fun $ to spend!
 
Sharing our garden next. Mr. Retro is very clever.  He purchased used plastic
drums, cleaned them, cut them in half, set them on cinder blocks....voila,
raised gardens!  No squatting to the ground for that unending weeding. 

We planted 4 and thought they were great, so Mr. retro went back and bought a
few more.  They are empty now, but we have some veggies started from seed
 that will be planted soon.  
 
We planted some tomatoes, yellow  squash, zucchini, and peppers in the ground. 
He says next year, all raised gardens.  Fine with me! It's not like I enjoy
weeding on the ground.  :)
 
 
Crossing fingers for a good garden season and that the container plants do well.
These cucumber plants that can grow down rather than climb up. 
 
Doyle enjoying his nice shaded pen.  A comfy igloo house, wooden bottom,
shaded roof, big bucket of water....and all he wants is to be let out so he can run. 
He ran into a five foot black snake the other day and wasn't happy about it. 
Me neither!   Luckily they're not dangerous, just icky. 

Lastly, Mr. Retro brought me an empty spoolie home from work.
What do you think?  :)

He painted it with leftover paint, it's drying on a bucket here. 
Next step, he says I have to decorate it.  I'm looking forward to it.
Any suggestions???
 
(my knockout roses, looking fabulous)
Enjoy your Sunday! 




13 comments:

  1. I needed some thrifting therapy yesterday and all I found was a funny Christmas coffee mug and a great vintage ironstone creamer! STILL it was fun! Love your roses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't find much this weekend either but it's always fun being out and about treasure hunting! The spoolie is cool! I don't know what I would do with it, but it's cool...:) Doyle has it made in the shade...lol! Have a wonderful Sunday!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must have had a ton of outfits trimmed in rickrack when I was a kid. My mom loved it. Wright's was her brand. We're doing raised beds this year too. So much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that big spoolie is so fun!! I can't wait to see what you do with it!! :) Love the idea and it's such a great one for the raised flower beds!! Fun finds, poker chips and blue ric rac will be fun for later playing!! :) Beautiful roses!! Have a lovely day! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. ANDDD Doyle looks so cute over there! He has his own little palace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see what you do with that big spoolie! We had one in our backyard growing up. We used it as a table. My mother had daisies painted all over it. Doesn't Doyle look happy outside. Blue rick rack would be good for future patriotic crafting! Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good score on that ric rac! What a great way to grow vegetables! I hate weeding too and this would certainly help with that. I will have to give that giant spool a thought. My uncles used to work for the electric company and they would get really giant spools and everyone in the family had picnic table made from them. they were really big!

    p.s. I have the tablecloths on my blog today!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pam,
    I love putting red, white, and blue poker chips in a jar with my Americana décor. I always nab rick rack when I see it. Yes, you are set for life with blue. lol! Garden looks great and Doyle looks happy. Life is good!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'll say you won't have to buy any more blue rick rack for a while!

    Happy Doyle has a safe place to hang out :-). He looks happy!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use rickrack when I make card garlands...so I can see you making patriotic garlands for all your friends. =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw those Ball jars on line and I agree I want the green and blue! Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooohhh, those green Ball jars are sublime!!! I've seen the blue repro ones (the Target an hour away from us has them), but had I no idea green had hit the market. Fingers and toes crossed that they too make it up here to Canada.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you deeply for your caring, supportive comment on today's post, my sweet friend. I think that I've weathered this storm, as all I can see is sunny skies and a reminder of who my real online friends are - now. If you open an Etsy shop one day, too, please let me know right away, as I want to be your first (or at least one of the first) fans so that I can then include items from it in some of my relevant posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently bought a case of the green ball jars too! I have no idea what I will do with them, but that didn't stop me. I would not have been able to resist the vintage rick rack, either. Maybe you can make some patriotic banners with it? Lots of red & white stars & stripes would really make that vibrant blue pop! Hope you are having a wonderful week :) --Fran

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and our open to all! Thanks.