Vintage Tablecloths

Sharing vintage tablecloths ~ and other vintage treasures that capture my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, April 11, 2014

Me do a food post? Chocolate Chip Cake & Mail Call!

Who me?  Baking?  Actually I like to bake, but just don't do it very often.
If the recipe is simple, all the better.  Mr. Retro requested this cake for his
birthday, so I thought I would take a few photos and attempt a food post.  Ha! 
 I'm a messy cook/baker, but I tried here. 
 
The first step..."gather all your ingredients".  That should be understood before
starting, right?  Not to me, I always find myself scooting all over the kitchen
and tearing through the cabinets as I'm preparing.  Who'd have thought that gathering
the ingredients could make my baking life so much easier?
 
Fran, that's who, of Hey Mom, What's For Dinner?    She starts her cooking posts
 with that reminder, for those of us who need a big slight nudge.  Do you read Fran's blog? 
 One of my favorites and de rigueur if you enjoy seeing scrumptious food and 
following the antics of her two adorable dogs. 
Bonus~She shares her fabulous recipes! 
 
So, here I go...gather all your ingredients :)
 
Grease that Bundt cake pan (yes, I know this one is supposed to be a
non-stick pan, but it's old and I'm not taking any chances.)  
(You can also use a 10-in. fluted tube pan.)
 
 
 Lightly beat the 4 eggs in a small bowl.  
(Yeah well, I never said this was a "diet" cake!)

In a large mixing bowl combine:
 1 box yellow or white cake mix (with pudding in the mix)
1 cup sour cream
 1/2 cup vegetable oil
 1/4 cup water
and the lightly beaten eggs. 
Beat for 2 minutes.
  Fold in 1 & 1/2 cups of chocolate chips.  Eat some of the extras for the stamina to
finish  making this difficult cake, whew.  ;)
  Oops~forgot my tip.  Toss the chips with about a tbsp. of flour before adding to the mix. 
This should keep them from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
  Pour in your Bundt pan.  Easy-peasy, right?  For those of you opposed to using
 a box mix, just use your own favorite white or yellow cake recipe.
Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done.
Cool in pan about 20 minutes before removing. 
 Ta Da!  I'm so proud I can follow a simple recipe.


The cake has sort of a pound cake consistency, so I like to just sprinkle it with powdered sugar.    I've previously used a glaze frosting, equally delicious.  Bonus, it travels well.
 
Mr. Retro requested his piece with an enormous dollop of whipped cream.  So yummy!
 
Cutting it up to freeze because the birthdays are over and the willpower is lacking.
 Give this cake a try, I think you will like it!
 
Also sharing more happy mail!  Holly from Damitas Pretty Wrap surprised me with this
special package.  A wonderful vintage birthday card and a sweet lollipop style card she made!
 Love them both!  See the other goodies she sent?  Including a package of her warmer tarts. 
She knows I love them.  Thanks so much Holly, my sweet blogger friend!  :)
 
  Are you almost ready for Easter?  We're having spring weather this week,
it's so wonderful!  Have a great weekend friends!!!  
 



10 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post Pam!! Glad you like your sweet birthday surprise, I just emailed you (: (: OHHHHH my goodness that cake looks super good and pretty easy too!...I'm like you, I like easy / not to many ingredients kind of recipes! :) Yum!! Now i'm hungry!! Hope you have a wonderful springy weekend!! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! Want to try asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way that Holly decorated her mailer with washi tape and cupcake papers! And the way your sense of humor shines through, you must have received extra stamina from those chocolate chips :) . Happy Birthday to you and Mr. Retro! :) --Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks heavenly. I'll admit I'm a terribly messy cook and crafter. I love doing both, but I'm constantly searching for things as I create. Birthday blessings. Happy spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so yummy and pretty simple too! Those are the best kind of recipes...:) What a sweet little package you received....what scent are the tarts? Have a wonderful weekend...:)

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! Your hubby's birthday cake looks divinely yummy! I want to lick the screen. I love to bake but don't anymore since I grew to the size of a single family dwelling LOL. Old age isn't fun on the body or the morale, no sirree. grumble grumble.
    What a lovely friend Holly is, so very sweet of her to send you surprise bday goodies, so much fun! Enjoy!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks so good and I am relieved to know that I am not the only cook who sometimes forgets step #1. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sweet indeed! Love these type of recipes when you need something fast! Think I will make this tomorrow! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a fun post! I rarely bake, but this looks simple enough for even me! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I love that cake, I have made it too and put a chocolate glaze on it! I have no willpower when it comes to chocolate! What fun mail. I spy that little glass with the red roses on it. I have that pitcher that matches. I have had it since I first got married almost 34 years ago. I can't believe it has lasted my clumsy handling!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Thanks.