Vintage Tablecloths

Sharing vintage tablecloths ~ and other vintage treasures that capture my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Winter Thrifty Finds!

This is such a long miserable winter, my trips to the thrifts have
helped keep the winter doldrums at bay.  Just a few finds to share.

My local thrift that helps support the Special Ed program at the
high school was having a half price January sale.  Due to bad weather
they were closed a lot, so they extended the sale into February.  

Oh yeah, I felt that endorphin release at the mere thought
of finding a bargain.  I walked to the back to drop off my donations
(of course I always bring donations...the bag out-bag in theory)
and when I turned around I ran right into these cuties.
Holy thrift store score!
Holt Howard cat S&P shakers from the 60's (50's?)
The squeakers (to make them meow)
no longer work, but they are in pristine condition.
Priced $2.50.....what were they thinking!
When I paid she charged me...you guessed it,
$1.25, half price sale!

A friend brought me the Kokeshi doll (on the right) from her trip to Hawaii
and I love her.  Found the other at the thrift, half price for $1, love her too.
 
Here is a photo of the bottom, showing they are made in Japan.
 
I love colored glass, especially blown glass items.
Found the blue pitcher while thrifting, the cranberry pitcher
belonged to my Nana, and my mother gave it to me.  She had
2 of the exact same pitcher, so my Sister and I each got one.
Cherish it!  

Paid $3 for a bag of vintage clothespins because I just
had to have them.  I'm thinking they'd be great to use 
for making a banner or garland.

 Sweet dish ready to help out with St. Patrick's Day decor.

Our library book store sells donated books and purged library books.
They always have a good selection of children's books, though
 not always in good condition, but then there is no guilt cutting up pictures
 for card crafting. Books are 25 cents to $1, can't beat that.

How cool is this book on cowboys?  Check out all the brand marks.

Have a great week & have a Happy Valentines Day on Friday!

Don't know about you, but I'm not cooking.  We have a good local
Mexican restaurant that is offering a free dessert of fried ice cream,
so I'm telling Mr.Retro he is taking me......
& make that Margarita frozen please.  :)  

What are your Valentine's Day plans?

Linking to:
Vintage Thingie Thursday @ Colorado Lady

33 comments:

  1. Wow, great finds at a great price! Have a lovely time on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your S&P's, so cute! They had squeakers?! I never heard of that before, that's so much fun.

    Happy Valentines Day to you and Mr. Retro! We're going to the Vegan sushi place we love - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss going to the thrift stores. With all the cold I havent gone out very much. As soon as the snow melts I'm going. It always seems to brighten the day finding that perfect little something. Love your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know those kitties were supposed to have squeakers! How fun and what a score!
    Nice back drop of rag balls you had going there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, should have taken a photo of the bottom, and you can see the squeakers. Don't the rag balls look sweet in the bowl on my buffet? :)

      Delete
  5. Sweet finds, and those kitty shakers are so cute! Happy Valentine's Day! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE those cats and kokeshi dolls, so awesome they look like reproductions. :D Nice shape on those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Van, I added a photo to the bottom and would appreciate you coming back for a look if you know about them. I know they are being made today, not claiming vintage, and they are carved from one piece of wood, but that's about it. Not sure what you mean about reproductions.

      Delete
  7. Those S&P shakers are so cute, that was a SCORE for sure! Love the blown glass and the little dolls! I'm single so I'll just treat myself to a nice supper at home! LOL!! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Holt Howard kitty salt and pepper shakers. What a bargain! You found some other goodies too! It feels so good to score at the thrift once in awhile.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just know you'll do beautiful things with all these finds. My brother actually had the Big Book of Cowboys when he was a kid, so it brought back memories. My mother oil painted three scenes from it for his room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? That is so interesting! Oh my word! Are you interested in it Dana?

      Delete
  10. I love them all, but for some reason I feel really drawn to the clothespins! Maybe I was destined to do laundry as a lifestyle no matter which era I was born into. :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Half-price thrift store days give me an endorphin release, too - that's a great way to describe it! :) I love the sleek kitty shakers. Super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the card and bookmark. You are so sweet. I'm really going through estate sale and thrift store withdrawal. What a long long winter it has been. Your kitty shakers are absolutely wonderful and I'm a sucker for vintage clothespins. You really scored well with your latest hauls. Enjoy your night out on Friday. One good thing about healing from surgery has been that I'm off-duty in the kitchen. I haven't felt like eating but I'm not in charge of anything near the kitchen area right now. Yippee!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe you found those kitties for so cheap! I found my set at the flea market for 5 bucks and I thought I was getting a bargain :-)

    I have yet to come across a set of those where the squeakers actually work, have you?

    Have a great week! We will be at Alex's basketball game on Valentines Day. So romantic, huh?

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  14. I "had" a pair of those kitty S&P!!! They didn't meow either!
    I think we are staying home on V-day and go out either the day before or after!
    Happy Valentine's Day!
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just looked up your HH shakers in my Hh book, looks like they're from the 50's - I'm not much for cats but they sure are cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, thanks so much for dating them for me!

      Delete
  16. That was such a score on the HH kittens! Great finds. I love the shamrock plate too!
    I'm glad you were able to get out and have some fun at the thrift store!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those clothes pins. Yes, I think a banner would be great with them. And using the illustrations in children's books is an awesome idea. I love thrifting too! And I agree, it's been a long winter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always fun to see what you are up to! You find the cutest stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! All kinds of goodies for you! I passed up those same shakers yesterday. One of the sound thingys still worked. I just don't have a place for them. I already have more shakers and knick knacks than I have room for. Hubby looked at me like 'you're not gonna get them'. It was hard, but I left them :0\
    Evie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet finds!! The kitty shakers are so cute and love those little pitchers! I've been wanting to go treasure hunting for a while, but with this weather, it's been a little harder to get out. Sweet Valentine hugs for you!! Hope you have a great evening with your hubby! We are planning to go out to eat somewhere, haven't picked a place yet. :) xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  21. Darling finds! The kitties are precious! Love your Valentine background blog image too! Have a great Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am sure you donated a lot of nice thins, but looks like you came home with some great ones as well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You find the cutest things! I love those Holt Howard Kitty shakers! Estate sales and thrift stores have been pretty dismal around here lately. Looking forward to the yard sale season!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that subscribes to the bag-in/bag-out theory! The last few trips, however, I've left empty-handed. I'm hoping that means that there 's a great find in my future, haha. Happy Valentine's Day and have a great weekend! :) --Fran

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh - those HH shakers are sooo cute. I've looked at them on ebay before but I keep telling myself - declutter - don't buy. I have a weakness for Norcrest Bluebirds and somehow a few turned into a huge collections with a few other anthropomorphic things thrown in for good measure. I looked through your blog and you just have the cutest stuff - love those linens in your last post. Everything is darling here on your blog. Happy Valentine's Day - Nancy
    PS - Oh my gosh - are you watching The Walking Dead? So glad to know I have company in that even though it's taken me 2 months to get by your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those little kitties have the Siamese Cat Song from Lady and the Tramp running through my head. :-) Looks like you had all kinds of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great finds, love the Howard Holt. I didn't cook either, but didn't feel like going out. Hubby picked up a really good pizza from this great place right outside our neighborhood. Win-win. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com
    History & Home link party, Tue-Fri, weekly

    ReplyDelete
  28. Leslie:
    Thank you for doing this giveaway. I am now an email follower.
    leslieannstevenson@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Thanks.