Vintage Tablecloths

Sharing vintage tablecloths ~ and other vintage treasures that capture my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Blue Willow Startex Tablecloth~ThriftyTablescape

 
Today I'm sharing a favorite vintage tablecloth made by Startex-Starmont.
I love oriental themed linens, art, ceramics, well just about anything.
But I'll confess, I've never been a big fan of Blue Willow dinnerware.
I know!  Let's keep it kind of quiet, because it is beloved by so many. 
 
I happened upon a couple Churchill Staffordshire dinner plates for 50 cents at a yard sale,
and 2 Blue Willow patterned candles at last weeks estate sale.
 I considered both to be signs that it was time for a Blue Willow tablescape!
 
 
The graphics are so beautiful I needed to start with a few photos
of just the tablecloth.
 
 
My lighting is not so great, the tablecloth is a very vibrant blue.
 

This lovely print, "The Ladies of Edo", hangs on our dining room wall.
The Japanese Edo period was 1603-1867.
(I apologize for the glare.)



 
Time to show my simple oriental table.
I used oriental design fabric in the bowl to bring a pop of color to the table.
 
The blue is deeper than this photo.  I think the camera flash washed it out.
 
 
The candlestick holders are hand painted and made in Portugal, thrifted.
 
The vibrant blue woven design bowl is marked MMA,
 a Metropolitan Museum of Art item, also thrifted.
 
 I've  had the S & P shakers for a long time.  They were made by CAS
 (Ceramic Art Studios, Madison Wisconsin).  They are vintage and hand painted.
CAS was known for their fine quality ceramics. 
 
I wish I knew more about the napkin rings, they appear to be celluloid, also thrifted.
 
 
I used my pearlized handled 1960's knives again.
 
 
A close up of the adorable CAS Salt & Pepper shakers.
 
 
& the MMA woven design bowl.
 
 
Sweet Copeland Spodes Gloucester dish, thrifted of course.
 
 
Vintage pins decorating the wine glasses make me smile.  The wine
glasses are from a tour of the New Kent Winery in New Kent County, VA,
and sitting on a pretty vintage hankie for some added color. 
 
I enjoy using souvenir winery glasses on the table, a fun memento from the tour.  
Do you bring yours home as souvenirs?  If so, do you use them?
 
 
 
Doyle wasn't able to help me today because he's having too much fun
at the preserve with Mr. Retro......doing something like this. 
 
Have a great week! 
 
11/27: Had some computer problems last week and wasn't able to
link up to Let's Dish, so it's not very Thanksgiving looking,
but here is my overdue table!
 

30 comments:

  1. What a fabulous tablecloth, Pam! Blue Willow is my all-time favorite transferware pattern, probably because I remember it so well from when I was a small child. I don't own very many pieces of it, either!
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marigene, I'll probably see you at Let's Dish!

      Delete
  2. How fun to bring your glasses home as souvenirs! We've been wanting to go to a local winery and do a tasting....sounds like fun. Love how much fun you have decorating your sweet table with "new" old treasures :) Doyle looks like he's having a blast out there! What a great picture too!! :) Happy Sunday! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, Put a winery tour & tasting on your Holiday list, it is fun! But bring a snack to eat to soak up the wine before you drive home. Some winery's offer lunch too.

      Delete
  3. I am in love with that gorgeous blue tablecloth! It's so unique and like nothing I've ever seen. I especially love how the yellow napkin rings coordinate with it. Another amazing tablescape from Virginia Retro :-)

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fabulous, isn't it? Still has it's label. I have 3 others with oriental themes I need to show you!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful tablecloth and table setting. My everyday dishes are Blue Willow and I love them, used them for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty Lou, My hubby grew up with it, my sister has it for everyday. It must be the most beloved pattern today!

      Delete
  5. It's a great tablecloth!!! And such a great idea to bring home souvenir glasses from your trips!! I received your tags... First nes in and they are just lovely!!,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I had craft anxiety before I started making them, but fun took over. Glad they arrived ok and that you like them! :)

      Delete
  6. I love this tablescape. It might have something to do with a certain Asian daughter (smile). I'd be happy to bring my sesame chicken, dumpings and egg drop soup over to your house sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Kim.....So where are you with all that great food, I'm watching for you out my front window! :)

      Delete
  7. Just lovely....as always! The blue is simply stunning! Have a blessed week...Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue really is something, and not a common color on my tablecloths. Thanks Vicky!

      Delete
  8. I love all the blue! You really know how to put things together. It all just flows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tablescape! I've never seen that tablecloth before...very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. as soon as I saw the tablecloth I thought "oh blue willow would look so good on that!" well of course that is what you used! I won't tell anyone about blue willow not being your favorite! ssshhhh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam, that tablecloth is absolutely STUNNING! I've never seen a Blue Willow fabric in that exact color or scale. It's amazing. Love the whole tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pam, I always love to stop by and see your fabulous finds! The tablecloth is pretty and I know it would be even more beautiful in person. You find the best treasures! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful and love all your estate finds, too! Happy week to you! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. what cute things...makes me want to run out and hit a thrift shop! yes, i always bring home our wine tasting glasses. we had a cute little pair from peaks of otter winery and just the other day one fell in the disposal without me know...and you can probably guess the rest of the story :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great table Pam! Love all your thrifty finds!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's easy to see that Doyle is in the height of glory! Having a dog gone good time! Pam, I must confess. I really don't care for anything with an oriental feel or look. But darn you girl, this is fabulous! How fun would it be for Chinese New Year?
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm one of those that loves that blue willow. My dining room is mostly decorated with Staffordshire type plates. Your tablecloth is stunning -- I've not seen this one! Let me know if you are ever interested in selling it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all things from Japan so I'm in love your with tablescape, tablecloth, art, etc. :D ! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Pam!
    Hope you're feeling better!
    You find such fun things. I've heard of the blue willow pattern but don't think I've ever seen it before?? Adore your S&P'S.
    Fun to see Doyle out practicing his rutabaga sniffing out technique ;)
    Happy happy Thanksgiving to you and all your dear ones,
    Sally xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great picture of Doyle! I love it all, I can't get over that even your candles match! Not just the candle holders, but the actual candles! You must have quite a collection. Love that tablecloth. I have a modern Blue Willow tea sea mom gave me for Christmas a few years ago I really like. Happy Thanksgiving - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very pretty table. I adore blue and white and the tablecloth just makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my, what a gorgeous cloth! It is just lovely! Glad you had a good Tgiving! Thanks for linking to Let's Dish!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and our open to all! Thanks.