Vintage Tablecloths

Sharing vintage tablecloths ~ and other vintage treasures that capture my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, October 7, 2013

Fall Mid-Century Tablescape!

This table is all about the dishes.

 
It's finally beginning to look like fall here, leaves turning and falling off the trees.
 
Usually my tablescapes are all about the vintage tablecloth.
This tablescape is all about the vintage china, my favorite set ~ 
 
Company is Iroquois
Shape is Impromptu
Designer is Ben Seibel
Pattern name is Stellar
 
 A great name for the pattern~because it sets a stellar table!

Ben Seibel was a prolific designer, popular for his mid-century modern designs.
He designed for several companies from 1950's right into the 1980's.
Some of his mid-century designs were Steubenville Contempora,
Roseville Raymor Modern, Iroquois Impromptu and Iroquois Informal. 

 In the 1960's he designed for Forum International and Mikasa. 
He even designed for Pfaltzgraf, with the Country-Time pattern.

Seibel  also designed glassware for Fostoria, and miscellaneous items for Gilley,
Royal Haeger and more.  Keep an eye out for his cool designs while you're out thrifting!

On with the table... 
 
I found my first pieces at a Goodwill in Florida. 
 

This particular South Florida Goodwill always had an enormous selection of dishes. 
 I think everyone retired to Florida, brought all their dishes, and then donated them after adopting a more relaxed way of life and entertaining. 
 
 
 I scoured the shelves and found a nice supply of dinner and bread plates. 
I lived 2 blocks from the Goodwill, so I kept going back, and kept finding
more of the dishes!

 
Over time I purchased other pieces at flea markets, antique malls,
on eBay and even a couple through Replacements. 
 
I have more pieces than anyone needs, right down to rice/dessert bowls,
butter pats and a cheese dish.  I have duplicates for some serving pieces.
I use them all!

 
The coffee pot and water pitcher were eBay finds.

 
Don't they look wonderful on this fall theme vintage tablecloth?
  (See, I told you it was mostly about the dishes!)
 
 
Irish crystal stemware
Reed & Barton "Diadem" sterling flatware
 
 
 Hope you've enjoyed my mid-century table!
I admit, I have a little "dish problem".  Do you?
Thanks for visiting. 
 
 
Joining this week:
 
 
 


22 comments:

  1. I love that dish pattern! I used to have just one plate with a very similar design but I don't have it anymore. I think I gave it away during a move because we just had too much stuff. I would love to have more dishes, but I've just got two full sets, both service for 12. I have everyday Pflatzgraff stoneware and my good china is Noritake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with Ben Seibel designs, and this is no exception. Your table is, as usual, just perfect. I love the flowers with that tablecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tablescapes are always outstanding. I love the shape of the tea/coffee cups. They do look wonderful on this fall theme vintage tablecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you picked the PERFECT tablecloth to show off the dinnerware! I especially like the shape of the coffee pot and water pitcher, I can totally understand why you would want to snag them on ebay while you had the chance! Have a wonderful week :) --Fran

    ReplyDelete
  5. You lucky, lucky lady! Yes, I have a dish problem too. I'm loving anything atomic lately. I hope you'll share this with my readers at my We Call It Olde Link-Up, just started this morning. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so gorgeous and I love the tablecloth and dishes! So pretty!! Have a lovely autumn day! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful table setting!!! Love the table clothe too!! So very pretty!! :) xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never seen that set before, has some great shaped dishes in the set. I always love learning about different patterns from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh Pam! These are wonderful! I always go for colored pieces, but they are just so striking! I really love them. I think I'm going to have to start looking at the Goodwill when I go. I bet they were so much fun to collect.
    Thanks again for sharing!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your table!! You are so fortunate to have so many pieces in this pattern: love, love, love the water pitcher and coffee pot!!! I think it's fair to say that the majority of us who share this hobby have "a dish problem"! Ain't it grand?! Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those electric bursting shapes are gorgeous, love those and the classic mod shapes. I do believe I will be playing with tablescapes here soon. I have a huge collection of serving ware that needs to be displayed and sold for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the perfect fall arrangement in my opinion! Those flowers give such a beautiful splash of color. I've been inspired :-)

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great celebration of fall.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  14. These mid century modern dishes always remind me of my grandmother because of the shape, but I have no idea what pattern she had. Thanks for the reminder. They are wonderful! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful....love this retro look. Great table!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just popped back over to thank you for joining the party, hope you come back again any Tuesday you have a vintage/antiques/history post to share! -Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cool looking pattern. Nice that you have such an extensive collection, Pam. Love the tablecloth, reminds me of candy corn!
    It is amazing what one can find in thrift stores...some of my most favorite treasures are from there.
    Have a wonderful week...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your dishes! They remind me of a pattern I have and a Christmas pattern from the era that I really want.
    Thanks for sharing your great dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love it all. Great find.
    Yes I have dish problem. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun design Pam. I have never seen it before. I think it would be so fun for July too. In some ways it reminds me of fireworks. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  21. As I read this, I am thinking to myself, "Where on earth does Pam store all her dishes?" I am so thrilled to always learn more about your table settings. These are really pretty!!! The pattern is really different and so nice.
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Thanks.