Vintage Tablecloths

Sharing vintage tablecloths ~ and other vintage treasures that capture my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, August 30, 2013

My Mom & My Absence

 
 
This is one of my favorite recent photos of my Mom,
loving holding a great grandchild.
 
I haven't really been around "blogland" since last week.  
I took the train from Virginia to Connecticut to visit my Sister
and Mom.  Mom has had increasing problems in the last year,
and recently moved into an assisted living facility. 
 
We are certainly not alone in this, I've read the stories of
 many bloggers who have written about facing this same crisis. 
Yes, sadly it is a crisis when the time comes to move a parent
from their home, the home they have known and loved
for so many years.  So we do the best we can.  We search
to find the best place, with a cheerful environment,
caring staff members, and of course ~ well rated.  
Luckily, my sister was outstanding in accomplishing that. 
 
Mom is having some problems adjusting, so if you have a
minute to send some positive thoughts, prayers, or
good karma.....it will be more than appreciated.
 
Problems aside, could I visit without shopping? 
My Mom's favorite outing (second to taking her to
the old  "hot dog" place), was a trip to the thrift store. 
She had a great time enjoying seeing familiar things from
the past.  Mom has been both a thrifter and a collector.
I credit her with getting me started.  My Sister is also a
 thrifter, so I guess it's in our genes!
 
I'm settling back in at home and will be sharing
my CT thrifty finds soon.
 
 
Mr. Retro was happy to have  me back, as were
these little guys.  Not sure how much longer
our hummingbirds will be here. 
 
 
So was Doyle, though he loved going fishing
with Mr. Retro, a favorite thing for both of them.  
 
 
I hope to catch up on all the fun posts I've missed.
Happy Friday & have a terrific
holiday week-end! 
 

16 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your mom's troubles. For several years after my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, she lived with my daughter (then a teenager) and me. I eventually had to find a care facility for her, so I know what a huge decision that is. Sending positive thoughts to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughts and prayers for your mom<3 Sending big hugs your way!! Glad to hear you enjoyed a thrift store from the past, I bet she loved it too! Happy Friday to you too, and wishing you a lovely long holiday weekend! Hugs, xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Virginia, I am sending hugs, good thoughts and prayers. i am so glad you have your sister to help. It is hard on everyone involved. I miss my parents so and hate that they died young, but as I get older I have to confess I have to say I am relieved that I do not have to worry about them as they age. But, you still have your Mom and enjoy all the times you have together. I think our hummingbirds only will be with us about 3 more weeks, sure will miss the little guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been there and done that, too, unfortunately, Pam. sending prayers, hugs, positivity, to you and your family. Love the hummingbird feeder, guess it is too late for me to get one now. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pam!

    I didn't expect you home yet, for some reason I was thinking this weekend but thought I'd check in just in case :)

    It's so heart breaking to watch our vital parents decline. Sending you lots of hugs.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry about your mom, she is lucky to have you and your sister looking out for her. It's nice that you could enjoy some thrifting! Sending lots of positive thoughts to all of you. --Fran

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I know how hard it is to make those decisions, and I'm glad you have your sister to help. It's a tough thing to go through, but it's a blessing to be there your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers for your mom and for you. I know this has to be tough on you and your sister as well. Nice picture of the hummers! Can't wait to see what you bought!

    Blessings, Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending you good thoughts and wishes. We went through all those life transitions before Chris's mom passed. It was such an emotional rollercoaster. I hope you have a happy Labor day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know how hard this time can be, especially when you are far away. Being the only child and living halfway across the country, it was a hstressful five years for me after my Dad passed away - my Mom developed dementia, but we do what we can - sending thoughts your way!

    We still have hummingbirds here too, in Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to hear that your Mom has to be in a facility and is having a hard time adjusting. I think it just takes time and sensitivity. I knew a pair of sisters who lived in assisted living. They were 95 and 93 and they loved it because they treated it like a resort. I hope your Mom can get comfortable enough to have a great experience like they did.
    Sending good vibes to the East coast for all of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm soon to face this with my Mom also and I understand how hard it is. I'll say a prayer for her and hope she finds comfort at her new home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Will be lifting your mom up in my prayers!! Glad you got to spend some time with her! Wishing you a happy weekend! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. First of all, thank you dear Pam, for your kind comments on my blog. They are much appreciated.
    I hope your sweet Mom adjusts to her new surroundings. I loved reading that your Mom loved visiting thrift stores and eating hot dogs. My own Mom loves those exact two things, too. I know Mr, Retro loves having you home with him. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're right, seeing parents aging and having health issues is difficult. I can't image having to face the move and all of that. Blessings to you all. Love your hummer photo. -Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pam- I hope your Mom is settled into the assisted living home now, and you and your family feel good about where she is. We went through the exact same thing with my grandma several years ago. And I know...we just want them to feel safe and comfortable so much!
    Hugs- Erica :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Thanks.