Vintage Tablecloths

Sharing vintage tablecloths ~ and other vintage treasures that capture my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Big Top Glasses!


BIG TOP PEANUT BUTTER GLASSES!




Isn't this magazine ad great? 
From  the 1950's, a Procter & Gamble product,
made by the Hazel Atlas Company.

They're certainly not rare, who didn't buy peanut butter?
&
Who could resist fresh roasted peanuts at the circus?

Here is a blurb from the ad:

Yes, Big Top really tastes as tempting as it looks in
these lovely crystal-clear goblets and sherbets.
Treat your family to Big Top and start collecting this
"Early American" stemware to sparkle on your table!

Notice the play on words, "crystal-clear" goblets.
They're NOT claiming they are crystal, but that is what they
hope you you'll remember, "crystal", when you hastily read the copy.

Gotta love it! 



Imagine my surprise when I found these at a yard sale on Sunday that
we just happened to drive by.  I chatted with the woman who told me they were
 selling everything (even the house) buying a camper and seeing the country.
((sigh)) Sounds nice doesn't it?  

OK, I'm getting off track. 

She said the glasses had been her mothers and were very old, but knew nothing else.
Hhhhmmmm......they were looking familiar.

She said what they didn't get rid of by noon was free. They were going
to stick a "free" sign in the yard, and then donate whatever was left. 




She told me to just go ahead and take the glasses. 
But it wasn't noon yet.

Well, being the big spender that I am, I said no, & gave her a dollar.
We both laughed, and she wrapped up the 5 Big Top sherbet glasses. 




Y'all probably know what this means.
Now I'll be looking for the goblets.
One thing always leads to another for us vintage junkies.

Joining in some parties this week ~
please check them out!











24 comments:

  1. Ack! What a great find! And yes, you have to be on the lookout for the goblets! How fun these are :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great glasses. I don't remember p b being sold like that, maybe that was in the 40's? I remember jelly glasses and glasses in laundry powder boxes (Duz). Great find, Pam. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting just how much that looks like the Imperial Cape Cod pattern. My grandfather owned a drugstore, and my grandmother put in a gift department there, so she had tons of Cape Cod...probably every piece ever made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they somewhat copied the Cape Cod pattern. Think?

      Delete
  4. This is such a great story! So sad that now we have to get our PB in big plastic tubs! I really hope you can find the goblets. I have a feeling that you will! And you'll probably find a really amazing old tablecloth to display them on as well! Please show us when you do! :)
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom has told me stories about how food either came in glasses or sometimes you would get glasses or dishes inside a food container. How times have changed! There was one company a few years ago that sold jelly in old fashion drinking glasses, but I had to stop buying that brand because each time I opened the jelly, it had mold on it. I suspect the store just kept it on the shelf for too long.

    You sure got yourself a bargain on your pretty new set. Good luck on finding the larger glasses to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure we ate a lot of peanut butter, but do not believe it was in these pretty glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam,
    I love this post! I never knew PB came in glasses like that, so much fun! I'll look forward to seeing your growing collection. :)

    Happy VTT!
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have these! I NEVER would have known that they started out with peanut butter in them! They are my "good" parfait/yogurt/ice cream dishes. LOL We think we are using fine china when I serve one of the above in them. LOl Have a great day! I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found this post! I love discovering what something is, don't you? Part of the fun of thrifting and collecting.

      Delete
  9. I have a few of these, and just love them. I didn't realize they came with p'nut butter. I did know they were something like that, just wasn't sure. Thanks for sharing. I learn so much from your blog. You enlightened me recently to the type of tablecloth I had found for $2.00 at a yard sale. I looked on ebay and they actually had the identical one for $90.00. I'm always glad to read your posts!

    Have a fabulous weekend! Happy thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting to find a $2 item selling for $90, when you already love it for $2, right? LOL! Thanks so much for your kind comments. If I know something about an item, I love to share it.

      thank you ALL for your comments. They make me proud to be among you bloggers. However, I just got some message about my upload photo limit being reached, so I guess I have to go find out what it will cost me now ((sigh)).

      Delete
  10. I remember having some of these when I was little! I wonder if my mom still has them...hmmm. You got a great deal on these!
    Have fun thrifting this weekend!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish food still came this way!!!

    Good luck on the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are pretty darn cool! Love to find someone just getting rid of it all...a treasure hunters delight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have some of the sherbets and some of the glasses. I didn't know that was where they came from. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, okay so I never even knew that pb came that way! Ahh the good ole days! Thank you for sharing at Cap Creations. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh and if you host your photos on photobucket or any other free photo hosting site you wont have to pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I tried to add a photo to my blog page yesterday & got the message that I head reached my maximum upload, etc.....time to pay! I'm definitely going to check out Photobucket.

      Delete
  16. I'd forgotten about these! Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pam, love that ad! I do not remember peanut butter coming in those cut glasses. I would have never known what they were. Glad that you are so savvy and know your stuff girl. Hope you fine the others to go with them. Thanks for sharing your find with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Pam! See, this is why I love my party people! I leanr something new all the time! This was just so cool to learn about. I had no idea that peanut butter had come in these glasses. That ad is awesome and your find is wonderful! Thank you for sharing this with us last week at TTF. I hope you are having a terrific week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey there, just stopping back by to say I've featured you this week at Cap Creations. Thanks again for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the vintage ad! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile and our open to all! Thanks.