Vintage Tablecloths

Sharing vintage tablecloths ~ and other vintage treasures that capture my attention. Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, April 2, 2012

Birthday "Blues" ~ Noritake Style & More!

My Birthday was this past week-end.  
First I came home to this table of gifts
from wonderful Mr. Virginia Retro. 
I'll share some of them later, we went away
for the week-end and I'm still opening them. 
Nothing like delayed gratification!


We went to the Virginia mountains, actually to attend
a Field Trial (dog event).  Here is the little cabin
we stayed in at a KOA campground.
 
It was pretty much bare bones, very cute and
comfortable, and basically was a place to sleep,
 because we didn't really have time to hang
out at the campground.


Here's where we spent Saturday and Sunday,
Liberty Corners Farm.


This is the entrance to the 2,500 acre farm
where the event was held.


Isn't the house sweet? 
Well, actually it's their dog kennel.
They have about 8 labs. 


Here's Mr. VA Retro exercising Doyle just after daybreak.  Doyle is barely visible in the field.  I dropped them off at the farm, and went to a school fundraising sale that we saw advertised on the way to the campground on Friday.

Thrifting on my birthday~Woo Hoo! 
My kind of gift to myself.
Now to the Noritake.....


I spotted two white hinged boxes with oriental writing
on the top.  Anything oriental, I'm in!

Opened the box to find...

Then noticed the label on the side.




Made for the Japanese domestic market, and
therefore not backstamped for export.

Gorgeous hand painted blue florals, beautifully glazed, appear to be high quality. 

  The vendor said her mother, a world traveler,
brought the Noritake sets back from a visit to Japan.

Her table was filled with vintage items from several
countries, and was very crowded with buyers. 
 I held onto the two boxes until it was my turn to negotiate.


Five dollars per box.  Happy Birthday to me!


Some of my other finds from the sale:
  a Royal Worcester egg coddler, vintage compact,
Copeland spode leaf dish, 4 white fire king bowls
and unmarked white plate,  & vintage tree top girl...sweet!

$5 for everything shown on my table above,
$10 for the Noritake sets ~
a great day for  birthday thrifting!



A better look at the vintage girl tree topper,
originally 79 cents!

Would love to hear from any Noritake collectors who might
have some information on the dessert plate set.

Thanks for visiting! 
I'm joining some parties this week!
Find their links on my sidebar to visit.


&


&


&

&



Always love your comments!

29 comments:

  1. A belated happy birthday! Looks like you had a great little getaway and a productive day of thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what great finds! And a belated happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beeeeeeeaaauuutiful!!!

    Nothing like a good day of thrifting, especially on your birthday :)

    xo P{

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a wonderful birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, awesome! Yes indeed, Happy Birthday to you! Love, love the plates. Come share with me if your able to. Also, just wanted to let you know that I am featuring your Easter postcards today.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to get away for your birthday! Those Noritake plates are gorgeous, and you were so lucky to get them for such a great price. Thanks for visiting the Cottage at the Crossroads and leaving your kind comment. Hope you have a wonderful Easter.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!! You sure did have a great day! Love all of your finds.

    :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had a great day and topped it off with some great finds. The plates are very pretty, and I'm sure they will be enjoyed for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Lovely finds for your birthday........thanks for sharing. some of my most enjoyable times have been shopping flea markets and estate sales!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those plates, beautiful! Happy Belated Bday! Thanks for stopping by Let's Dish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful birthday haul! I don't have any info on the Noritake dishes but they sure area lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a fantastic birthday!! Love the dishes!! Happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very nice way to celebrate a birthday. Their dog house looks better than some people's homes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday to YOU! What fabulous buys and a super fun birthday! Enjoy the rest of this special week! Keep on celebrating! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for visiting, you got some great steals!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great way to spend your birthday! I look forward to reading more of your posts, since I also live in VA. (I'm a new follower.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a few egg coddlers. I love them so much. I have never used them for eggs.... But they are great just the same.

    Fabulous finds!
    ~Trudy http://thriftscore42.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well Happy belated birthday! What an awesome treasure in those little plates! They are beautiful and a great price! Thank you for sharing with us at TTF. I hope you and your family have a happy and blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anyone who reads about a flea market in advance is a serious thrifter - what a lovely treat for your birthday. I am a Noritake fan too! Thanks for stopping by my Thrifted Thursday too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy belated birthday indeed! You sure scored on your birthday...I love it when the right gift just comes to you! Last bithday in Oct., I found a great set of lovely Bavarian tea set...it wasn't a score but, good enough price and gifted myself too! Just dropped from TTF. Congrats THE DISHES ARE BEAUTIFUL!! Have a very blessed EASTER SUNDAY!
      FABBY

      Delete
  20. Thank you ALL for the Birthday wishes! Glad you like my finds too. Really appreciate all your comments, enjoy reading each one.

    Happy Easter blogging friends! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, my thrifting friend...these are great finds!! So jealous! Can't wait for our next adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just wanted to hop back and say thanks for linking up. Love your sweet dishes! Hope you will party again this week!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! Just stopping back by to let you know that I am featuring this post in this week's Thrifty Things Friday party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Thanks so much Diann! I'm very excited and appreciative! Pam

      Delete
  24. Hello Pam;
    I collect Antiques of all kinds. I know what I am doing, and I know my prices, also!!
    The Stunning Noritake Plates which you were so lucky to have purchased, I believe to be from the late 1920's-1930's. Since the marking are so nomimal on the backs, this would explain that factor.
    Also, the boxes were made special to house these dishes and to protect them from harm. They are were made for the Japaneese market, and were purchased at a nicer store in Japan orginally.
    It is very difficult to locate complete sets such as yours, (with the original boxes) and the prices for Noritake keep rising due to this factor.
    More than likely, these plates were meant to be used for Dinner, as it is very common in Japan to use several small plates to eat off of. These plates are perfect for Sushi, as they are the correct size, and were probably orginally for this purpose.
    The prices per box of perfect dishes would be well worth about $50.00-$80.00 per box.
    I hope that this is of some help to you!!!
    Sunny C.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sunny, I can't thank you enough for this information! It verifies what the seller told me, while providing me so much more. I never thought of them as dinner dishes, with small servings on individual plates...but of course! I did some online research and also thought they were older, which is wonderful news.

    I'm so glad you stopped by to comment. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledgable information! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm trying to catch up on some posts I've missed so Happy Belated Birthday and you sure did score on those salad plates. They are quite lovely! I also am impressed with your other finds. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Thanks.